Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bike, Photo Shoot, and Earth Worms...

I got to test out my bike for the first time yesterday.  Well I pre-tested it in the backyard, Thursday, but riding over pine cones and uneven grass with the seat and handle bars not adjusted to the proper height, and 2 dogs chasing behind me, Maverick barking at the tires ended up with me running into a lawn chair.  All while Hannah stood on the patio watching, probably thinking to herself, "and you expect me to ride on the back".  And if you're wondering why I didn't just try it out on the street, well Sergio was at work, and the bike had been sitting in the garage a few days calling my name.  So the backyard was the next best thing since I didn't have to worry about Hannah.  Friday morning Sergio made the adjustments and we decided to go for a bike ride-jog.  Sergio jogged with Hannah in the Bob, allowing me to get used to a bike again before we start using the child seat.  In my defense I haven't been on a bike since I was a kid, and the ground was a lot closer then too.  We headed down our street and out of the neighborhood over to a path that loops around the little league fields.  We did 2 laps around the path and came back.  Total distance was 3 miles.  I'm glad to report I did not fall off or make a fool of myself.  The old saying "it's like riding a bike" is true.  This was my first time over to the path, and I really enjoyed it.  Made me have more appreciation for our neighborhood.  I already love that we live in a quiet and safe neighborhood.  But to know there are nice parks and paths so close made me like it that much more.  It was sunny and refreshing, and the weather this weekend has been so wonderful too.  On the way home as we passed one home, the air had a scent from the hedges that transported me back to my Grandma Adam's house.  For a glimpse I felt 7 again riding my green Schwinn banana seat bike around with a light breeze blowing in my face.  Which is funny on another note because I picked out a green Schwinn for my new bike.  It's a sage green this time, rather than the forest green I had as a kid.  As for choosing my bike I decided to get a hybrid.  Sergio has a road bike, so it seemed silly to get a mountain bike not to mention they are also heavy.   I considered a beach cruiser, but then decided I wanted something with different speeds.  Which left me with either a road bike or hybrid.  I entertained the idea of bicycling as a hobby and sport, then decided it's not realistic.  I enjoy bicycling with the family and being Sergio's training partner for his running, but I won't be doing the Tour de France.  We've shopped around a few weeks and tried different bikes, but ended up finding a Schwinn at the NEX on sale (and it didn't hurt that the NEX is also tax free).


Once we came back home we enjoyed hanging out in the backyard.  Sergio and I threw the Frisbee around for a bit, while Hannah played at her water table.  While Sergio went inside to shower, I was going to bring Hannah inside, but then decided the pine cones on the ground were annoying me.  We've had some storms in the last couple weeks that have left more than usual amounts of pine cones on the ground.  It also blew my gazebo across the yard that I keep failing to mention in my past blogs.  I meant to only clean up the cones, but when I saw how many pine needles were piling as I raked I couldn't stop.  There is something about raking, once I start I can't stop, may be a bit of OCD.  By the time Sergio was done showering I had practically the whole yard raked.  Today we finished raking and bagging all the pine needles.  While doing that Sergio found an Earth worm to show Hannah.

   

Yesterday afternoon we also decided to take a trip to the Botanical Gardens.  I wanted to get some photos of Hannah in a dress my parents bought her on a trip and knew the gardens would make a wonderful backdrop.  

We started with the rose garden.  









Then we tried to take a picture of her in the middle of this path amongst the wild flowers, but she was much more interested in the rocks than a photo shoot.


The rest were just places around the garden.



(This was Hannah's excitement when I knelt down in front of her, she loves her Mommy.)


We found it a bit more challenging to photograph her this time because usually in a photo shoot you're trying to capture the smiley, go happy baby.  But Hannah is so interested in her surroundings that she just tunes us out and zeros in on her fascination.  Which I'm just as happy to capture.  

For the summer the garden is featuring a storybook land.  After we were done with our photo shoot we checked it out and played. 


Hannah started picking up speed along the path and got her first outside ouie.
Her first two ouies being when she split her lip on a bed frame in Corpus Christi, and scraped her forehead last week by tripping and hitting it on the inside edge of my bedroom door.

To see more pictures click the link:



    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Family is my life. I'm a stay at home mom to Hannah, and wife to a wonderful Naval Aviator.