Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Warm to Cool

Sorry for tons of posts in one day, but if you haven't already figured out I'm in the process of making decor changes. As I find things I like I post them before I lose them and have to google search all over again. I came across this blogpost, http://www.thenester.com/2010/09/how-to-change-the-theme-of-your-decor-without-breaking-the-bank.html, about going from warm colors to cool. In my mind from dreary to light! If you've read my old posts you already know this house is too dark with the lack of natural lighting and oak wood work. Back to that blog post...From the red, brown, black room to adding some blue, to just wait till we move and get a more bright house, to enjoying the warm colors with my Christmas decor, and now that Christmas is over I'm so ready for that light, this post sums me up in the last 4 or so months (apologize for the run on sentence). Happy to know I'm not the only one who needs a change.
Since I'm writing this I might as well unveil my own work in progress.
Original room:
With blue touches added (pictures between back door and window, candle on mantel, and pillows) along with some other decor changes:
This little corner I do love.
Ideally I'd get new couches, and have some favorites in mind. But being that these couches are only 2 and 3 years old, that's not ideal. So to work with them I must. So now the new color pallete is this ottoman:
Ignore the couches in the back because I have a lot of changes coming. And my ottoman is not done. I need to do the top still. I took a brown double ottoman and made it into a single. The top is the original top, but I don't like the way it sits inside. So I will be making the top to be flush with the bottom. You'll see :)
If you're curious as to what I'd do if we owned this home and obviously would not be moving, ooh. First the fireplace, bye-bye brick and wood stove thing. The fireplace is way too big for this room. I'd probably make the fireplace and mantel area itself about the perimeter of the stove thing. I'd frame it with white. Then I'd paint the walls a soft blue with a grey undertone. Paint all the wood trim in the house white. Knock down the walls between the office and living room to fully open the space (permitting they are not supporting walls). Change the carpet to wood floors. There you have it.

1 comment:

  1. I love the new ideas for the decor. I am really liking the white colors. Plus, cool colors always open up the space.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

Family is my life. I'm a stay at home mom to Hannah, and wife to a wonderful Naval Aviator.