Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Living Room

The heart of our home, our living room.
For the breakdown. We already owned most of what is in this room. I slowly started transforming our living room while we stilled lived in Virginia.
Immediately upon moving in I knew I wanted a sofa console/table. We also wanted something that would provide office storage.
We shopped and shopped, but I was determined to not settle. I came across this mid century buffet at a consignment furniture store in Encinitas. At first glance I thought I could easily paint it and add some knobs. The price was higher than I wanted to spend on a used piece, but being a solid piece it was comparable to something new of poor quality. So I was sold. When we placed it behind the couch, I was instantly in love with it as is, but still was undecided if I should make some changes. I looked inside the left drawer and found a furniture stamp. I did a little googling. Turns out this is an antique piece that goes for about $395, and I only paid $149. Not only was I thrilled to find this out, but I knew I would not be doing any DIY to this baby. I can see her every morning when I wake up from our bed, and honestly she makes me smile. (Yes she is a she and a piece of furniture makes me smile.)
The above is probably the most true to color of our couch. It always seems to photograph more of a funky rustic, bright red when it's really berry.
The end table was a quick project. I bought it 4 years ago at a thrift store for $5. 4 years later I finally got around to spray painting it black. Maybe I will post some before and afters. I bought the basket under it from TJ Maxx for dvd storage. Cheap and easy.
Originally we planned to have our dining room as our office, but realized we need a larger space to entertain. Instead we turned this corner into an office space. Which is why the sofa console needed to serve as storage.
I finally have my gallery wall. Two of the frames still need to be filled. Probably one piece of art to balance out the dog print, and a photo in the other. I love it. The desk I bought on craigslist for $50. I may reupholster the chair in a fun pattern.
I can't even begin to tell you how much I love our fireplace in comparison to our last house! The bricks are more red than appearing in the picture.
We swapped our love seat with my parents for their chair above. Just worked better for both of us. I may reupholster or paint it. Undecided at this point. I like that the wood balances out the color of the sofa table, but I think a coat of paint or new fabric will make it feel more fresh.
I bought the lamp from Home Goods. With no ceiling lights, this room was in desperate need of lighting.
As for the final to do list. I will be the first to admit the tv is way too big for the tv console. However I really don't want to buy anything new for the time being. In our last house, the fireplace was so large, you didn't notice as much. Now it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
In place of the candle holder on the right wall we would like to blow up a huge canvas of a photo we took.
I also need to finish reupholstering the top of the ottoman, a project I started in VA.
I might also paint the tray sitting on it white.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Family is my life. I'm a stay at home mom to Hannah, and wife to a wonderful Naval Aviator.