Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Joys of Moving

Everything is happening so fast. My emotions of excitement and anxiety are playing tug-a-war. This will be our 6th move with the military in the past 3 1/2 years. So for all of you who may be curious as to how we juggle these moves, well I suppose I shall blog about it this time.
Excitement: Moving HOME! I just can't get over that we are finally going West. There is no more when or how many more years, it's a matter of weeks, and now days. We get to stay put for 3 years. If we find the right house the first time around, I don't have to move for 3 years! Hannah's birthday! We will make it home in time to spend her birthday and mother's day with my family.
Anxiety: Moving. Do we move ourselves or have the military. Military, check. Drive 2 cars, tow, or ship 2nd car? Tow, check. Tow, unchecked. Turns out Uhaul does not allow Explorers to tow because of too many lawsuits with Explorer owners. Hmmm, major inconvenience. Wishing we did not sell our Tacoma. Stop remind ourselves in the long run it was the best decision for us. So now do we drive 2 cars, or ship 2nd car? Ooh cost that much to ship a car, hmmm. Undecided, but leaning towards shipping. 10 days on the road, 2 cars, a dog, and toddler...I think I'll fly home. Looks like we better ship a car so we can enjoy each others company and take turns behind the wheel. So when do we leave Hunny? Don't know. Need to finish a couple things, and then see how fast personal property can arrange movers. I bet we can move ourselves faster. I saved all the boxes from the last move. We'll spend the weekend packing, have ABF load the truck Monday, clean the house Tuesday, leave Wednesday. We'll wait to see what news they have for us tomorrow. Oh by the way Hun, what should the theme for Hannah's birthday be. I need to start planning. And while I do that I'll search for a house, wait list for base housing. Which reminds me do we want to wait 3-4 months for a house on base or find something ASAP? I'll have my parents check out the housing, and then the area we're interested in. Hopefully it's awesome, so you don't have to drive any further than 16 miles to work. Should be 25 minutes with no traffic, but we'll see. And if it's not a good area, well your commute just became longer. I better start making a check list: check auto and rent insurance premiums, registering and titling vehicle fees, schedule brakes and new tires for the Matrix, schedule Hannah's whooping cough vaccination. Oh Oski needs a new rabies shot before we leave. Call utilities and schedule shut off dates. Haha, as I'm typing this I remembering stuff I haven't even thought of.
Pause: Savor every last day of Hannah being 1. Kisses, hugs, and laughs. Oh honey did you know Hannah's molars are in. Aw, no wonder she's been fussy lately.
Pause again: Time for celebrations, farewells, and goodbyes. Saying goodbye to great friends who are deploying. The reality of why we are all here.
That has been the roller coaster of emotions this week, and really today. The wheels in my head can't stop spinning, but sometimes I'm getting ahead of myself, and other times I feel so not on top of things. I do have to say thus far, this is one of our easier moves. Not because we've done this 5 times before, but because we are going home to family. There is so much to look forward to. We are truly blessed as a military family to be able to live so close to our family. Having family nearby is not a common benefit of military lifestyle. When it comes time for the big "D", deployment, I will have my family. I know I could have done it with the support of our friends had we stayed on the East Coast, but family is family. Then there is the logistical benefit of family. Somewhere to crash while you find a home. Don't have to live in a hotel room with your 1 year old and 2 dogs while you house hunt, like we did when we moved here. We actually get to take our time and find a place we love. They can go check out houses for you, so if you find something you want to secure before arriving. They can check out a whole area for you! My parents drove to an area of San Diego we like and scouted it out. On our short list of areas that are safe, within in our basic housing allowance, and not a grueling commute there are only a couple areas we aren't familiar with already. I did as much research online first, then told them where to go. Takes a huge burden off me, to know that if I like a house, I'm not going to show up and it's in the ghetto. Yeah, we've been there, done that every single move. We didn't and don't live in the ghetto. I meant we'd have to start our search over or cross houses off our list house hunting list once we saw the area they were in.
So thus far that would sum up the moving marathon that has begun. But honestly it's a marathon we've become pros at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Family is my life. I'm a stay at home mom to Hannah, and wife to a wonderful Naval Aviator.